It's all just one big restau-rant...

Sunday 23 September 2007

Savino's

The morning after the stonemason party I found myself victim of Cambridge's appalling Sunday bus service. One bus an hour and the connecting bus leaves 2 minutes before the inbound bus gets in. Great! I've got 58 minutes to kill at Cambridge bus station! I checked the messages on my phone which seemed to mainly involve one of my relatives trying to get in touch with me not exactly what I needed at that particular moment.

P9232994.JPG

I somehow still had a few quid in my pocket and there was a busy looking cafe with authentic looking foreigners sat outside reading authentic looking Italian newspapers. Coffee must be good there. And it was.



They have some pretty interesting sounding combinations on the board for their sandwiches and pannini - ever the masochist I had a pannino involving dolcelatte and artichokes. It was crunchy and full of nice Italian stuff. There was a basic but serviceable salad on the side (is raw red onion allowed? I'm not sure) and oil and balsamic in drizzlers on the table - among the little touches that make the place just-so. It wasn't cheap - by northern bus-station standards it is pretty astronomical in fact but I'm a stranger in this land.

The man behind the counter (is he Savino? answers in the comments) was clearly having trouble with the young waitress he was working with. Along the lines of he was dancing the tango and she was dancing the boogie-woogie. They weren't quite going in the same direction and seemed to be forever crashing into each other. It would be good to know if they have managed to resolve this particular bit of choreography. I took some photos, promised them a review and off I toddled for the number 7.



All in all it was very pleasant and such a million miles away from all the shitty chain coffee starbucks bullshit. If you are ever stuck at Cambridge bus station it's the place to go.

No comments: