It's all just one big restau-rant...

Friday 21 September 2007

Rice n Three, Bolton

A friend was passing through Bolton so I took him to Rice n Three for lunch. We sat and we chatted and compared stories.

Rice n Three is a little Indian cafe in Bolton - near the "bottom" end of the high street - walking from the station towards town you take a right at the first set of lights and it's in the row of shops on your right. The place is greatly favoured by my parents slightly do-lally cleaner and not without reason. They have a rotating menu of curries, making a different selection of vegetable and meat dishes each day. The idea is you get a plate of rice and three of the curries - but of course you can ask for naan or just two curries or chapattis if you wanted. I had lamb, channa and cabbage which cost not much more than £2.50. For a grotty looking cheap little lunch place it really does nice curry. Subtle variations in spices and complimentary flavours of the three dishes go down a treat. The meat, while slightly boney was tender and sweet. It can't be beat. (Update: The prices have gone slightly higher since I wrote this, more like four quid for a meal, but it's still a bargain)



Bolton is in some ways a terrible place from a culinary point of view - finding a nice restaurant without leaving the town seems like very hard work, but as this place proves, if you lower your expectations and follow the local flavour there are truly some diamonds in the rough.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Went there 2 weeks ago n it was simply delicious! The lentils/dhall, spinach n chicken combo on Wednesday is a must try. Now where can i get this in my hometown? Salivating just thinking about it.

Craig said...

I've been eating there for about 14yrs now. I started to go to the rice n three when our office moved to bolton. The owners / staff are really friendly and the food is just amazing. I have never had a bad meal from there and l take my family pretty much every Saturday after my middle son finishes football. It's turned my kids into curry lovers from a very early age. I would definately recommend Friday's Aubergine curry. They really know how to make boring veg taste amazing. Don't worry about the mention of bones in the original post. Some of the variations in curry are off or on the bone. When it's on the bone it gives a completely different but still a fantastic flavour. I'm a bit nervous writing this because I don't want to make the place too busy but I recommend you go. I have a mate from South Wales who makes a huge detour along with his football budies any chance he gets after I introduced him to the Rice n Three. I promise you won't regret eating there.