It's all just one big restau-rant...

Tuesday 6 November 2007

The Sun Cafe, Lancaster

Now it was a week or so ago I went here and I did promise a review at the time but, well, I've had other stuff on my mind. Story goes that I went here with a mate after a bit of searching round town and ended up at the Sun Cafe - and I'm very glad we got this far. Lancaster has historically been quite low on good eateries outside of the pizza-pasta-curry-chinese territory and it was very pleasing to see something a bit more in the zone.

To start off with they brought us some bread and olive oil and OOOH look there's mushrooms in it! How intriguing! And very pleasant little mushrooms they were all covered in oil and vinegar. A good omen...

We definitely had some starters - mine was probably something involving liver and bacon and I remember being pretty good, perhaps a little salty but that's bacon for you. The beers must have been kicking in at this point because I really can't remember much else about it.

And for mains I had asked for their lamb which came to my specification, pleasingly twitching with some top-notch (juniper-berry?) gravy and vegetables. It was in fact very nice meat and incredibly tender. They did put the veg in an odd little basket thing but as this was also edible I didn't complain. My companion's Salmon came with a swirl of red raspberry stuff around it with lovely delicately tweaked heart shaped white bits in it - they're certainly putting in the presentation work. He said it was "good". Did we have dessert? No, I think just coffees.

We gassed about work and music and stuff and then went out for more round the corner at the John O Gaunt. All in all I found the Sun Cafe a very good experience. I will certainly go back and I would certainly recommend it.

4 comments:

Dan Flynn said...

S,

Apropos your Lancaster experience, I recently ate at a Japanese restaurant in that fair town. My companion is a vegetarian (one of those that don't even eat fish, very hardline). We ordered a veggie selection that was so dull it set off her scurvy and only through burning calories direct from muscle did we generate enough energy to escape. Grim doesn't come into it.

luncheon said...

Gen: the Sun Hotel and the Sun Street Cafe are totally different places! Easily confused though. The Cafe is halfway up the street opposite what was Bistro Morrini (which used to be wonderful by the way - don't know about what's there now)

luncheon said...

GEN wrote (but got edited): I like the Sun hotel but have only experienced their fine beer selection (which if I remember rightly has a Munich beer on tap too...though I can't remember which one...maybe Lowenbrau). Love Gen

luncheon said...

I didn't know Lancaster even had a Japanese place... My condolences to your dining partner on this one.