It's all just one big restau-rant...

Friday 19 October 2007

Kurdistan Restaurant, Bolton

I may have mentioned previously that one of these days I was going to get brave and go to the Kurdistan Restaurant in Bolton. This place is truly in a world of its own - I've never seen any "westerners" in there and sure enough I got a truly undiluted cultural experience. The telly was blaring with a Kurdish news channel, people came and went wishing each other hearty "salam-allec"s either fetching takeouts or sitting down for lunch.



The menu is represented by pictures. I had the Lamb Quzi. When it came I was reassured that all the portly gentlemen at the next table were having the same thing - a good choice is a popular choice.... I got a bowl of soup for starters which was watery, tasty and not suitable for vegetarians. The main course was primarily bits of lamb (with suckable melty bones) and rice (with raisins and bits of noodle). On the side and to provide sauce it comes with a bowl of tomatoey beans. The etiquette is to gradually empty the beans/sauce onto the rice/lamb over the course of eating it. A beautiful bubbly naan came - initially as a kind of lid for it all. Again it took me a few moments to twig - but that is why they have the little wicker mats on all the tables - to put your naan on. And all this for four pounds. Brilliant.

No comments: