It's all just one big restau-rant...

Friday 31 August 2007

Zinc

I was particularly pissed off - and instead of heading into work thought I'd go mooch around Manchester for a bit and perhaps have a bit of food. I trundled through Picadilly Gardens, bought some small bits and bobs for my camera at the shop under the Royal Exchange and then spotted the Zinc Bar and Grill in the Triangle building near Victoria.



They had a nice looking lunch menu but were rather unwilling to give me anything on it until it officially became lunch time at 12 - I think it was about 11:15 when I walked in and they were still serving "brunch". I wasn't being moved and stubbornly sat, drank coffee and waited until they would serve me my chosen item, some kind of fried squid with thai noodle salad. Everyone overcooks squid. Everyone overcooks seafood in general to my mind. This example was nearly worth the wait with about the right texture and had a tasty bit of liquid/noodles/green stuff surrounding it. I gobbled it down but I was still hungry and wanted pudding.



Chocolate sponge pudding - with a sponge outside and a gooey liquid centre - never fails to delight me and they were making a very good effort with it. They didn't have any vanilla icecream so I ended up having it topped off with chocolate ice cream making the whole thing a bit heafty, vanilla would have been a good bouncer for all the chocolate - but perhaps they had seen me coming and realised that I required my food dirtily indulgent.

No comments: